9.03.2010

Exploring...

I drove on the opposite side of the road for the first time! Everything is opposite, the blinker, the gear shifter, everything. I felt like I was at the mercy of the other drivers, but Logan was right there telling me “Get over, Get over!”, so I survived just fine.

The past several days have consisted of lots of “discovering Auckland”. We/I have…walked the city, met lots of interesting people, been to many nice restaurants and markets, explored the beach, danced the night away at a hip-hop dance class with Morgan and our new German friend Melanie, had an awesome bible study with some teens from the Icebox, and looked for houses to live in, etc. I’m having a positively lovely time.

However, so far, it’s harder than we expected to find a place to live. Furnished homes don’t aren’t frequently available within our price range, one of the places we looked at has no water pressure while another doesn’t have an oven. What to do?There is something really nice about keeping my life simple, only living out of 2 suitcases for the next several months. It frees me, creates a lightening of the spirit. And it has made me realized how much crap I own back in the States. It’s kind of ridiculous. When I get back, I hope to commence a cleansing of my possessions that are deemed unnecessary.

Today, we are off to the grocery store and also place membership at this really neat gym that comes equipped with these massive hot tubs and every kind of workout machine imaginable. This is all in an effort to create a schedule for ourselves… because sometimes, in mission work, you must create your OWN schedule, and give yourself a sense of daily purpose in doing so.

No comments: